Bake this delicious cornbread for an exciting side dish to add to your favorite southern dinner.
- 1/2 lb Conecuh Hickory Smoked Sausage chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 6-ounce packages buttermilk cornbread mix
- 1/4 cup plain cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 7-ounce can corn with peppers drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pan. Add oil to skillet; preheat in oven 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together sausage and remaining ingredients. Carefully remove skillet from oven; pour batter into hot oil in skillet. (Do not stir.)
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. (Cover with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!