An incredible Cajun stew jam packed with shrimp, oysters, crab claws, and sausage. You don’t have to travel to the bayou to get your hands on this authentic gumbo.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 2 lbs Conecuh Hickory Smoked Sausage sliced 1/2 inch thick and cooked
- 1 lb fresh crab claws
- 1 lb fresh shucked oysters
- 1 1/2 lbs large fresh shrimp peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1 tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 to 2 tsp ground red pepper
- hot cooked rice to serve
- In a large Dutch oven, whisk together flour and oil over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until flour mixture turns dark brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and bay leaves, stirring to combine. Gradually add broth, whisking until combined. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage, crab claws, and oysters; cook 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp; cook until pink and firm, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Creole seasoning and red pepper.
- Serve with rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!